Pakistani students can apply to the USA Fulbright scholarship program for 2021 – 2022.
Every year many Pakistani students search and apply for abroad scholarships especially in the US prestigious universities. Several public and private sector organizations are offering fully and partially funded scholarships for Pakistani students. One of the most frequently heard is the Fulbright US scholarship.
It is a fully-funded post-graduate program by USAID (United States Agency for International Development) and operated by The Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs (ECA) Exchange programs.
Pakistan has the largest number of Fulbrighters in the world due to generous funding from the U.S. Embassy in Pakistan. The Higher Education Commission of Pakistan is also collaborating to fund 25 Ph.D. scholarships each year for the next five years. These awards will be administered under Fulbright rules and regulations maintained by the Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs (ECA).
A Pakistani student can apply to the Fulbright program from USEFP (The United States Educational Foundation in Pakistan) and also get the whole details from Oppnest, which is a global digital youth development platform. It provides access to unlimited scholarship opportunities from various universities around the world.
Benefits of Fulbright Scholarships to Pakistani Students
The US state covers almost all the expenses of Fulbright students which includes;
- Tuition fee
- Text books and all other study materials required
- Living expenses
- Stipend for living expenses
- Health insurance
Fields of Study
There is a long list of fields for Pakistani students in the Fulbright scholarship program.
- public health
- Social sciences
- Journalism and mass communication
- Arts and culture management
- Heritage conservation and museum studies
- Urban and regional planning
- Environmental science/studies
- Security/peace studies
- Data science
Note: All disciplines are eligible except for clinical medicine. Students who have done MBBS are open to apply for research in medical-related fields such as Public Health etc.
Eligibility Criteria for Pakistani Students
- The citizens of Pakistan with a strong academic background can apply, Except for the clinical medical students.
- Pakistani students who have been selected as a Fullbright are expected to exhibit leadership qualities and act as a representative of both the communities and culture.
- Dual citizenship of the US and Pakistan is not eligible.
- Pakistani students who are associated or employed with USAID or HEC Pakistan are also excluded from the benefits of this scholarship.
- Pakistani students who are applying for the first time are only eligible.
- Pakistani students who are on a work visa in any country are ineligible.
- Pakistani students already studying in the US are also ineligible.
Documents needed for Fulbright Scholarship 2021
- The official transcript is indicative of the grading system used by the university. It must be attested by HEC.
- The degree of the Pakistani student attested by the Higher Education Commission of Pakistan.
- GRE (Graduate Record Examinations) test score report (138 in verbal and 136 in quantitative assessment).
- TOEFL & IELTS test scores are proof of English proficiency.
- Application form.
- Three reference letters.
- 2 years of work experience for MBA applicants.
- Work experience in teaching and public sector for Ph.D. applicants.
Application Procedure for Pakistani Students
- The application for the fulbright scholarship is processed by the US embassy in Pakistan and students must submit all their documents there.
- The application will be accepted by February and after processing, results are announced in the middle of October.
- The same will be followed by visa interviews.
- The selected Pakistani students will be asked to bring TOEFL or IELTS test scores.
- The selected Pakistani student is required to submit a contract asking them to return to their home country that is Pakistan and serve the nation for an equal duration as that of their stay in the USA.
The Pakistani candidates who have excellent academic backgrounds, high GPAs, and have shown community and leadership skills are considered the most competent for this scholarship. It is indeed an excellent opportunity for Pakistani women, people with disabilities, and individuals from FATA, Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, AJK, Gilgit-Baltistan, Balochistan, Northern Sindh, and Southern Punjab.